BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Saturday 9 August 2008

I'm lost, where are we?


I think we're near Keynsham, that's spelt K*E*Y*N*S*H*A*M. Those of you who are wondering what I'm talking about are obviously not old enough to remember Horace Bachelor and his 'Inter Draw Pools Winning Method'. But like today it was pretty horrible and wet and bears testimony to the fact that sometimes I did stop in the pouring rain waiting for a bus to come along so that I could photograph it. This one Gardner powered No.5114 was a pretty typical ECW dual-entrance Bristol VR as favoured by Bristol Omnibus operating from the biggest garage in the city, Lawrence Hill with the code LH. But as well as that it is very much a picture of it's time in the latter half of the Eighties when the likes of British Gas and as seen here British Telecom were flexing their newly privatised muscle. Very soon the newly broken up bits of the former National Bus Company would be hoovered up by the heartless Yuppy empire hunters with their prospectuses and mobile phones and removed from public ownership for simply stupid give-away prices. Indeed they really were going for a song and small groups of former local NBC Management were mortgaging their homes to buy company number one and by the time they had sold off a bit of property on prime sites they had enough lovely lolly to buy the next ruining more of the former infrastructure and so it went on.

No comments: