BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Saturday 24 January 2009

The Train on Platform One

The Swiss PTT had a small allocation at Baden which I guess were kept at the main telecommunications fleet depot in the town but there was also a small dormy shed beside the railway station that was still in use and probably dated back to earlier times when it was the bus garage. This rather unusual view is very Swiss whether it be the magnificent trains, their taste in advertising, the lack of litter or of course bright yellow post buses like resting Mercedes-Benz 0405 P25260 with the whole wooden shed to itself.

2 comments:

Andy R said...

Nice view Christopher.

Sad to say, this particular corner of Baden has been flattened some years ago to make way for a fashionable shopping centre combined with a bus station. Mostly the local buses use it with the postal buses still running from the less hospitable undercroft on the other side of the railway. Baden still offers a lot of variety in terms of buses, and some of the outlying places the buses go to are well worth seeing.

I worked in Baden for about three years, commuting in from Zurich every day. It is a pleasant place in many ways, but I must say I never really got to like it. Maybe it had something to do with it being a little town trying so hard to look like a big town?

Andrew

christopher said...

Sad, one of my earliest memories was seeing a two-door bonneted Saurer Post Bus parked here in about 1964, one of the few I spotted on our train journeys as we sped through these towns. This area was a good place to photograph those post buses between jobs too. No I never liked Baden much either of Aarau. The French speaking and Italian towns were always much more relaxed and laid-back and pleasant.