BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Friday 20 February 2009

Fylde: New buses for old


One of the effects of deregulation was that operators needed new low cost buses and one answer to this was to rebody older vehicles with more life left in them. There seemed to be a shortage of useful single-deckers too and Flyde next door to Blackpool, like Southampton rebodied some elderly Atlanteans. When Fylde was absorbed in to the larger Blackpool fleet in the Nineties the former Bradford Corporation PDR buses once fitted with Alexander double-deck bodywork stood out as their fairly recent Northern-Counties retained the two tone blue latterly used just up the coast.

2 comments:

MS said...

There is indeed a shortage of singledeckers, specially the short chassis ones like the Varios and Solos. There isnt an adequate replacement for the Beavers, and the Solos are somewhat some massive heaps of scrap that wont be around much longer. Shame the Plaxton Pointers Darts MKI ( L reg) arent about any more. What a workhorse!

I work in the industry in England, and i will follow this blog.Try to come to Barlaston this year!

Visit the portuguese website for buses www.autocarrospt.ning.com

christopher said...

Thank for your comment MS. Yes the modern single-decker has become somewhat flimsy and over-sophisticated. You obviously miss the old Dennis Darts, I miss those Leopards, Tigers and Volvo B10M's. I probably will be at Barlaston as it is local for me.