BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Tuesday 21 July 2009

Aldershot & District Dennis Loline 462

I bought a Britbus diecast model of this exact bus when I visited Fleetwood on Sunday for the historic Transport Day held there in the streets. My intention was to find one of these for a friend in pre-NBC Aldershot and District colours but now I'm not sure whether to keep it or not myself. In my opinion the rather attractive two-tone green and cream livery was rather over-rich though and not as cheerful or as easy on the eye as maybe nearby Southdown who used a similar mix of colours, and also the fleet was rather old-fashioned and conservative more like a BTC Tilling Fleet. As for the Britbus model of this Alexander bodied bus it's very nice but I have a cherished red and cream North Western Road Car version already. Sadly some bus companies we always loved but for some reason A & D was one of my least favourites, and for myself maybe it was because in my bus-mad-teens they had no Leyland's in their fleet which was in my eyes a crime. Over the years I have overcome my childhood prejudices and enjoy so much more of the glorious bus past but A & D has still to become a favourite. However that didn't stop me in the early Eighties wanting to capture images of it's former buses before they were sold off from scrap like many others in the large yard at the once Thames Valley Reading Garage in Lower Thorn Street.

No comments: