BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Saturday 20 June 2009

A Square Bus: Market Square Caldas da Rainha

I know some of you love the old RN so much you won't have a wrong word said against them. So maybe my criticism that this is perhaps about the ugliest bodywork I've seen on these buses might divert your attention away from my ignorance of the chassis. More like a shed than a bus these rather angular Caetano bodies were quite common on the Portuguese trolleybuses built at the same time in the Eighties but fortunately not so prevalent on buses.

3 comments:

Artdesire said...

You are right. This boxy Caetano bodywork on Magirus (Iveco) is not the most attractive one. This bus type was mostly seen in the RN service areas 1, 2 and 4. In other area hundreds of Utic bodied buses were still operational and did not need replacement. Also pay attention to the destination blind, that came from an older bus and didn't fit in. That is why the rest of the glass in front is covered white.

Terminal Rodoviario said...

Hi !

Another great shot of those days !


I'm a fan of these boxes ! Very typicall eigthies design, when everything was so geometric !

Maybe because I used to found them so much exotic compared to the Volvos and AEC I used to take on my earlier bus trips...


This model used to do also the route between Sintra and Ericeira.

I've tryed to catch one more then once, but I allways ended on an AEC...And thats why, I've never ride on one... :(


This model has two variants. The one we can see in the photo, the suburban and the urban variant.

Until very recently, we could see some of them in the TUB (Transportes Urbanos de Braga) fleet, in service !!!

christopher said...

Thanks, I'm glad my photos from Portugal inspire plenty of enthusiasm and comment.