BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Sunday 8 September 2013

1980: Freshfield Road Coach Depot

Most of the bigger BET and BTC operators had large garages and some of them like City of Oxford had one huge one to serve the city whilst all the others were fairly small. Southdown was one of the biggest BET companies which at one time could boast  a thousand vehicles but even in it's home town it could not offer the enthusiast anything as big as say the the 160 garage and works in Ribble's home town of Preston. This was because it had twenty-four garages often not too distant from one another plus various smaller dormy sheds. Freshfield Road in Brighton might well have been one of the biggest but that is just a guess, as Eastbourne, Worthing and Hilsea Lines had a decent allocation I suspect. However despite the row of mainly wintering convertible Titan Queen Mary's this was the Brighton's coach garage whilst a somewhat smaller Edward Street housed the local bus fleet. Indeed there was also another one which seemed to be for mostly storage on Moulscombe Way as all I saw in there were three out of use Burlingham bodied Commer Avengers.

No comments: