BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Thursday 2 July 2020

VRG 415T Part of The Post-Deregulation Jigsaw Puzzle

A long time ago now but Deregulation was a bit like a big cat which jumped on the almost complete jigsaw puzzle scattering the pieces everywhere. Some people might want to try at some point to  write it all down but the fact that this Merseybus  MCW Metrobus in Liverpool carries an Aberdeen registration and London Buses livery could inspire a school essay on it's own and this is just one bus. In fact it was one of five which went to Tyne & Wear and if I remember rightly in London to Enfield or Potters Bar.

2 comments:

Ross said...

Look like a Leyland Titan at the back, also presumably ex-London, tucked in behind the National...

I wonder if Merseybus were deliberately running ex-LT buses in London red because red was the livery of at least one of their major competitors (CMT, operator of the National in the middle)?

Definitely an "interesting" period, but a definitive history would make that huge 'history of the NBC' volume look like a paperback book! I suspect that unfortunately much of the detailed knowledge of the period, especially of the 'whys and wherefores' (rather than the dry lists of what happened), has been lost by now.

christopher said...

Yes Ross you are right the Titan is another of the many they bought off London. I think I'm rather glad nobody has tried to turn it into a book for except for the photos it might be a boring read, still I'm sure if it were Ray Stenning he would fill it with little maps and graphs. On the other hand I imagine everyone who went through it must have at least one good story