BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Monday 17 April 2017

An Insight at Plymouth Bretonside: C151 SPB

Following Deregulation the marketing men went a bit mad with new names and liveries. I think they should have reinforced well-respected existing names like Green Line instead  for had I not been an enthusiast I would never have guessed this Berkhof bodied Leyland Tiger belonged to London Country. It was seen at Plymouth Bretonside bathed in bright light whilst alongside it was one of Wallace Arnold's oddities a Mercedes O608 with a Plaxton body. I guess this was very much a one off and must show how much the Scarborough bodybuilder must have valued this major customer. I imagine it was bought for the Torquay operation where a little coach like this was the ideal tool for squeezing down those Devon country lanes.

2 comments:

Ross said...

I have a vague memory of Insight being one of those school tour companies, so I suspect the coach is in their colours rather than it being another of the deregulation era stupid names, although I agree with your general point.

Of course, when it comes to OTT marketing names replacing the company name Go North East must be the current "winners" with route branding using names such as 'Whey-aye Five-Oh' and 'Live it, Love it Sunderland'...
The managers of the old Northern General combine would be looking on in utter disbelief.

christopher said...

Good job Go-Ahead isn't in Yorkshire then as they would have a great time with their "aye by-heck" lingo lol. I mustn't knock Go-Ahead too much I topped up buying their depressed shares hoping to make up my loses on the last lot.