BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Tuesday 28 April 2020

Greater Manchester Transport END 820D at Stockport

SELNEC or as it later became known Greater Manchester Transport after it was enlarged inherited a large fleet of Leyland Titan half-cabs from Stockport but these were soon diluted with other types and two former Manchester Corportation Atlanteans from the END-D batch can be seen in this view.

2 comments:

Ross said...

Hmm. Completely missing the wide Manchester "units+letter" blind off the end track, so it can't correctly display three-figure service numbers and the passengers get to play "guess the number". 13something, but 13what?

We sometimes forget how rough around the edges even "quality" operators had become by the late-1970s, which is when I'm guessing this was taken.

christopher said...

There were exceptions of course with some wonderful Independents but everything about the bus industry became shoddy in the Seventies and perhaps the nickname of NBC being No-body Cares sums it up nicely. Out went all those proud wonderful Municipas with their fine titles and historic crests and instead we got toilet-cleaner-container pastel liveries and ugly DIY type names or just letters. I stopped taking photos for a few years but when I came back i'm glad I stuck to my old black and white film.