BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Friday 29 August 2008

A dull Summer's Day in Reading


This Reading MCW Metrobus with a far more unusual dual-doorway Northern Counties bodied Bristol VRT following and the Courage Brewery behind that might not be too exciting but one certainly gets an fascinating view of the town's choice of buses of the Seventies plus of course the road disappearing far off in the distance. I've a feeling this was the Watneys Brewery till it was taken over. Black and white photography is the best for catching the untidy nature of our old towns with their bumpy patched up roads and crumbling uneven pavements making otherwise nice buses to ride in like No.159 of 1979 a veritable rattle-box as in a low gear it moaned and groaned it's way through the traffic.

2 comments:

Andy R said...

Thanks Christopher.

The Brewery was I think called Simmond's Brewery before Courage took over. The old S remained emblazoned on the gates until the very end. The entire area was flattened and redeveloped in the late 1980s, and is hardly recognisable today.

The bus in the background is a Northern Counties bodied Bristol VR. These were the first large buses for one-man operation to be delivered to Reading and were in their early days marketed as "Jumbos".

christopher said...

I'm not surprised this corner was flattened as I rather liked it.