BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Sunday 17 August 2008

Not the Sixties but exciting times at the Colliseum


No it wasn't the Sixties but at the end of the Eighties as the NBC was being wound down Blackpool Coliseum Bus Station was still a pretty exciting place. Of course I didn't really think so as I was a child of the Sixties and that ended when all those glorious BET and even the equally pleasant 'Tilling' liveries disappeared in the early Seventies. But here in about 1989 many reminders in the names and look of the coaches remained, and looking back now it almost seems like that 'Golden Age' never ended. I spent some time here amongst these typical NBC Duple and Plaxton bodied coaches as I had just acquired a hand-held tape-recorder and despite the seeming tranquility of this shot vehicles were being moved around. So I caught all those delicious sounds of ticking-over and revving of Leopards low on air as slightly apprehensive drivers shunted coaches and buses out of tight spaces to get at their homeward charge egged on by and equally concerned veteren Ribble coach driver. Also of course there was that characteristic groan of Leyland brakes which sounded as though they had all worn down to their brake pads. Most of the coaches to be seen in Blackpool came from the North such as the Yorkshire Traction Leopard parked behind the odd one out another Leyland belonging to Luton and District. The YTC vehicle stands out too even from here because they fitted them with those all-white wheel trims. Probably best of all and as pleasant a sight of Blackpool as it's famous majestiv Victorian Tower was that pair of smart Ribble coaches; it's just a pity they weren't Standerwicks to make me it a perfect day.

No comments: