BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Wednesday 21 May 2008

Berlin next halt: Gorlitzer Bahnhof


One of the most important bus routes in Berlin is the 29 renumbered to 129 after German Reunification. It is a most enjoyable double-deck bus ride taking one from sleepy Roseneck on the expensive side of the Kurfirstendam with it's big fast cars and glamorous older women to the dirty Bohemian and Imigrant quarter of Kreuzberg and then on further to the equally poor working-class district of Neukolin. As you might guess my brother lives near here so I get off in Kreuzberg a place where you have to watch where you put your feet and where almost too conveniently there seem to be piles of these Workman's street cobbles or sets left lying around at the end of April ready for the May-Day Riots. My brother thinks I'm mad as he always goes on the U-Bahn but I always take my time and go by bus enjoying the beautiful many layered historic ugliness of Berlin for unlike Arriva I think the purpose of travel is not to arrive! So sadly the bus always gets there before me and buses like a brown painted Man No.3311 dating from 1983 seen when still in it's first flush of youth are more memories to share with you here. I just wish you could hear it pass by.

No comments: