BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Wednesday 19 November 2008

Basel Tram 417


For many years boggie-trams like No.417 were typical of the network in Basel. It is seen close to the Bahnhof where passing in the opposite direction a Mercedes 0405 Post Bus arrives pulling a trailer as it works that operator's single but important route out to the Airpor from the city centre.

2 comments:

Andy R said...

Beautiful view. The Standard Trams were one of those unchanging things in Switzerland. You saw them in all the major cities and they were immensely old even 20 years ago (the design goes back to 1939). In fact they were so ubiquitous that I couldn't imagine them not being there. Fortunately basel still has some, albeit of the newer type, not the type in your photo. In the iotehr cities that had them they are now only memories.

Andrew

christopher said...

Yes Andrew I like them too, but the one's in Zurich were my favourites by far, the way they used to sing as they went along.